Thursday, October 23, 2008

White Bean Chili - 4WW Points

I got this recipe from a co-worker like 10 years ago. It is a staple in my home; however I don't measure much, and sometimes add variations. The following is how I made it this time. Feel free to be creative and do your own thing.

We enjoyed the chili with some warm French bread my neighbor kindly brought over just before dinner time. He intended it to go with the chicken and vegetable soup that he brought as well, but it just looked so yummy we had to eat it. Usually, I like to serve the chili with tortilla chips and some shredded Monterey Jack cheese on top. Um, no, chips and cheese are NOT included in the points total, but nice try.

Here are my ingredients (until I looked at the original recipe and realized I forgotten green chilis, and decided to add some chicken broth and hominy since I had a lot of chicken in there)



All dumped in the crockpot:



Mmmmm.....smells SOOO good!



Fiesta time!





White Bean Chili

* 14 oz shredded, cooked chicken breast
* 1 small onion(s), chopped
* 3 clove(s) garlic clove(s), minced
* 28 oz can green enchilada sauce
* 2 cans Great Northern white beans or Canellini beans (or if your store is out of
both of these, try some Pinto beans like I did tonight!), drained and rinsed
* 4 cup(s) fat-free chicken broth
* 1/4 tsp white pepper
* 1 tsp ground cumin
* 2 4oz cans green chili peppers, diced
* 3 cups Mexican Style Hominy (one large can), drained and rinsed

First, sautee the onion and garlic in a nonstick pan. I used just a little olive oil spray. Then dump all ingredients in a crock pot. Stir. Turn crock pot to "On". Walk away. Return hours later. Ladle into bowls. Eat. Eat more. Drink some water, it's a tad spicy. (for those who need exact cooking instructions, even when using something as forgiving as a crock pot to cook soup, cook on low for 7-8 hours or high 3-4 hours - it's just all about melding flavors, not cooking anything)