Sunday, November 9, 2008

Ham and Potato Frittata (4 WW Points)

This was one of those nights that I didn't know what to make for dinner, so I looked at what was in my fridge and created this. I wouldn't recommend it - not without some alterations at least. It had good flavor, but the texture was a little rubbery. I've used egg substitute for frittatas before, but only in combination with whole eggs. Lesson learned; don't use egg substitute on it's own for a frittata. If you cut the egg substitute down to 1 cup, and used 2 whole eggs, this probably would be worth making again. It might be a strange dinner for some, but sometimes you have to get creative.

Ham and Potato Frittata (4 WW points)
~4 servings

Here's what you need:



* 1 spray olive oil cooking spray
* 1 1/2 cup fat-free egg substitute
* 1/8 tsp table salt, or to taste
* 1/2 pound potatoes, diced
* 2 oz cooked lean ham, diced
* 1/2 cup red onion, diced
* 1/2 cup low-fat shredded cheddar cheese

Oh, and one cute helper.



Prepare all your ingredients, so when you actually start cooking you can pretend you're Rachael Ray and your assistants prepped all the stuff for you before hand so your 30 minute meal actually does take only 30 minutes.



Coat your pan with a spray of olive oil and add your potatoes. Cook until they're soft.



When they were partially cooked (you may need to add some water during the cooking time to prevent sticking - I didn't but my sugar daddy - a.k.a. Mark - bought me nice new Calphalon pans), I added my diced onion. I browned my ham separately.

Add everything to the potatoes. Let cook until almost firm.



Put pan under preheated broiler and cook until center is set and frittata is lightly browned. My frittata was kind of thick, so it took a while. Theoretically, it should take around 3-5 minutes, and look like this. (Oh, I added some diced tomatoes to the top of my half. Mark and Kaelyn don't like tomatoes - I know, it's unbelievable!)



I served the frittata with some baking powder biscuits, made with applesauce instead of oil. I like them - dense and chewy - but Mark prefers the full fat version. I agree, they're flakier and yummier that way, but if you're counting points, dense and chewy is perfectly acceptable.




Baking Powder Biscuits (2 WW points)

~9 servings
* 1 cup(s) all-purpose flour
* 1 cup(s) whole wheat flour (use just white flour for the yummier version)
* 1 tbsp baking powder
* 1/4 tsp table salt
* 2/3 cup 1% low-fat milk
* 1/2 cup unsweetened Apple Sauce (1/3 cup oil if you want the Mark approved biscuits)
Preheat oven to 425.
Combine dry ingredients. Add milk and applesauce/oil all at once to flour mixture. Stir with fork, just enough for dough to hold together.
Pat dough about 1/2 inch thick on lightly floured surface. Cut out biscuits with floured 2 1/2 inch cutter. Place on ungreased baking sheet.
Bake at 425 for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown.

No comments: