Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Keilbasa and Bean Slow Cooker Soup (4 WW points)

9 servings

Ingredients



58 oz fat-free chicken broth (4 14oz cans)
15 oz canned pinto beans
15 oz canned black beans
15 oz Cannellini Beans (these aren't pictured because I added them at the end, when I thought the soup needed more "stuff")
4 medium carrots, chopped
3 medium celery, chopped
1 large onion, diced
1 tsp thyme
14 1/2 oz canned diced tomatoes
16 oz low fat Kielbasa (I used Trader Joe's Turkey Kielbasa)

Instructions

Chop all your veggies.



Mix all ingredients, except tomatoes, in a 5 to 6-quart crockpot.


Cover and cook on low-heat setting at least 6 hours or until vegetables are tender.
Stir in tomatoes; cover and cook on high-heat setting until heated through, about 15 minutes more.



Yields about 1 heaping cup per serving.



This was good, but I wish it wasn't so brothy. I wish it was thicker, like a stew. Next time, I'd maybe make a roux using some of the soup base and some corn starch, and finish the soup off by boiling it. I have never tried thickening with a roux in the crockpot, but maybe cooking on high for 30 minutes or so after adding the roux would work? If I try it, I'll let you know. If you try it, you let me know. It's only fair.

1 comment:

diksha said...

It is really wonderful blog and amazing recipe thanks for sharing.
health write for us