Sunday, March 29, 2009

Chickpea Patties (4WW points)

I came across this recipe in my Real Simple magazine this month.



It said it was a low-fat twist on falafel. I love falafel, and low fat sounds even better! So I gave it a go. It's supposed to be served with a Mediterranean salad dressed with yogurt dressing. Since I'd be the only one eating the salad, I didn't bother.

Ingredients



15 1/2 oz can garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
1/2 cup parsley
1 garlic clove, chopped
1/4 tsp ground cumin
2 tbsp all-purpose flour
2 tbsp olive oil

First, have your husband open and decant a bottle of Big Ass Cab. Cooking is always more fun when enjoying a glass of wine!



Put chickpeas, drained and rinsed, along with parsley, garlic, and cumin in a food processor. Pulse until coarsely chopped.



Form mixture into 8 1/2 inch thick patties (2 patties per serving).


Coat the patties with flour, tapping off excess.



Heat olive oil in a non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Cook the patties, turning carefully (and I do stress carefully) until brown, 2-3 minutes per side.



Attempt to remove from the pan without letting them crumble.



The verdict? Well, they were super dry and fell apart. I used quite a bit more oil than the recipe called for to try to hold them together. Plus, they were a tad bland. I would make them again, because they were easy and healthy, but I'd make a few changes. I think 1/4 cup of feta added to the mixture would have added delicious zest and flavor to the patties. Plus, an egg would have added moisture and held the patties together better. Do those couple things, and perhaps you could have a winner. Serve with some greens, some yogurt dipping sauce, and some pita bread, and you have yourself a tasty, fairly healthy, Greek meal!

No comments: