Thursday, March 26, 2009

Shrimp and Asparagus Risotto (4WW Points)

I continue to enjoy the use of a stove, with meals that require it! I even scrambled an egg for Kaelyn this morning, just because I could! I have quite a few things planned out of stove-excitment. Two of them are shrimp meals, which means a different meal for Kae. Oma sent her home with some leftovers the other day, so tonight seemed like a good time to try out one of those dishes.

Ingredients: (I forgot to show my white wine vinegar - which should have been white wine, so if you have some open, use it!)


8 oz cooked asparagus
3 oz cooked shrimp
4 cups fat-free chicken broth (I didn't end up using it all)
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
5 sprays olive oil cooking spray
1 tsp shallots
1 1/2 tsp parsley, chopped
8 oz risotto (about a cup I guess - the recipe called for 5oz but I wanted to use more, it just didn't seem like enough with all the liquid - which I still had extra)
2 tbsp white wine vinegar, and equal parts water

Some of the prep:

Mmmm....fresh shredded parmesan.



My asparagus, steamed for a few minutes. In retrospect, I don't think this was necessary. It cooks plenty while the risotto is cooking.



I had frozen, uncooked shrimp on hand, so I put it under the broiler for a few minutes. Frozen cooked shrimp would work just fine.



Directions

Heat pan over medium heat, spray with olive oil spray.

Sautee the shallot in olive oil (though I find the olive oil spray is sufficient here, and saves points!) for 2 minutes.



Add the asparagus, then cook for another minute.

Add the risotto rice; stir for a couple of minutes to toast the rice.



Add broth, 1/4 cup at a time, until absorbed. (I like to heat the broth - it speeds up this process. And like I mentioned in the recipe, I didn't end up using it all - my risotto tasted done and I didn't want it to be mushy.)



Add the shrimp, stir for 2 minutes.



Once done, add the parsley and the parmesan cheese.

Serve!


The verdict? It was good, but nothing great. The asparagus just doesn't have a good texture cooked this way, and the shrimp was rather blah. I think I'd rather have shrimp, asparagus, and risotto as seperate things for a meal, than all as one. Then each has it's own good flavor. I did like that the risotto absorbed some asparagus flavor, but I love good asparagus so I was sad this kind of ruined it. I'd choose fabulous aspragus and good plain cheesy risotto over this.

No comments: